There are a lot of recipes to prepare a tangy spicy aromatic tomato chutney. Thanks to my friend Kusuma, I got this recipe to a tasty tomato chutney with garlic flavor.
(Serves 4-5 people)
Tomatoes - 3 medium sized
Garlic Cloves - 3 large sized
Urad/Bengal Gram - 3 tsp
Red Chillies - 4-5
Tamarind - very little(depending on how sour the tomatoes are)
Oil - 1 tsp
Salt - As per taste
For the Tempering:
Oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves - few
Method of Preparation:
1. Add the tomatoes and tamarind to a small vessel along with half cup of water and let it boil covered for 5-10 minutes(Until the skin of the tomatoes comes off easily).
2. Meanwhile, heat a tsp of oil and fry the garlic and chillies for a minute or two and remove them. In the same oil add the urad dal and fry for 2-3 minutes and keep aside.
3. Peel the skin of the boiled tomatoes and discard.
4. Grind the roasted garlic, chillies and urad dal. Add the water used for boiling the tomatoes and grind to a smooth paste.
5. Now add the boiled tomatoes and tamarind to the ground mixture and grind to a fine paste.
6. Heat oil in a vessel and add mustard seed, cumin seeds and curry leaves. Once the seeds start spluttering, add the ground chutney along with salt and mix well. Fry till the chutney becomes a little thick.
7. Serve the garlicky tomato chutney with hot rice or rotis.
Use green chillies instead of red chillies.
This is my entry to the event being hosted by Padmajha - 'Healing Foods -Tomato' and Siri's 'Healing foods
Also Sending it to 'Two For Tuesdays'