Looks like it is going to rain today, so I wanted to have a snack along with a cup of hot tea. Previously I had heard a lot about chana zor garam, but never really attempted to make it. So, today I took time to find more about this popular street side Indian snack. I found many versions of this popular snack and finally decided on doing it in an oven unlike the traditional method of deep frying. Here goes the recipe of chana zor garam along with a famous Hindi song related to it!!
Black Chana/Chickpeas/Garbanzo beans - 1 cup(Can even use kabuli chana)
Oil - 11/2 tsp
Chilli Powder/Paprika - 1/4 tsp
Lemon juice - 1/4 tsp
Onion - 2 tbsp, finely chopped
Cumin Powder - a pinch
Salt - As per taste
Method of Preparation:
1. Soak the chana overnight. Drain the water and place the chana on a kitchen towel to remove the excess water. Ensure that the chana is dry.
2. Preheat the oven to 425 F. Line a baking sheet with aluminium foil.
3. Add oil and a little bit of salt to the chana, mix well.
4. Spread the chana on the baking sheet and bake for 7-10 minutes, depending on the chana you use. I baked for 7 minutes.
5. Take out the baking tray mix the chana once and place it in the oven for another 4-7 minutes. The chana should be crispy from outside and soft inside.
6. Meanwhile, in a bowl add the chopped onions, salt, chilli powder, cumin powder, lemon juice and mix well.
7. Now add the baked chana to this mix and toss well and enjoy your Chana Zor Garam
1. You can deep fry the chana instead of baking
2. You can use green chillies instead of chilli powder
3. You can even add chopped tomatoes and coriander leaves
4. You can omit the onions