Thursday, October 28, 2010

Bourbon Biscuits

Bourbon biscuits are loved by many and my hubby is one of those. He likes munching on these biscuits and enjoys them with his cup of coffee. Few days back I was going through a book on chocolate and found a very easy recipe for making the bourbon cookies. Finally today, I took time out to try the recipe and make the bourbon biscuits. The biscuits came out very well, the only thing missing was the sugar granules on top, next time I bake them, I will add the sugar granules on top before baking the biscuits. The original recipe did not have vanilla essence, however I feel that addition of a little vanilla extract will make them taste even better.
Ingredients:
All purpose flour - 1 cup
Cocoa Powder - 3 tbsp
Baking Powder - 1/2 tsp
Unsalted Butter - 4 tbsp, softened
Granulated Sugar - 1/4 cup
Egg - 1
Vanilla Extract - 1/4 tsp

For the Filling:
Hot water/Strong brewed coffee - 3 tbsp
Melted Semi sweet chocolate - 4 tbsp
Sugar - 1/2 cup

Method of Preparation:
1. Preheat the oven to 325F. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
2. In a bowl combine flour, baking powder and cocoa powder. Mix them well and sift the mixture using a sieve.
3. In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar and then beat in the egg and vanilla essence. Stir in the dry ingredients until the mixture turns into a dough.
4. Knead the dough a little and place it on a floured surface. Sprinkle a little flour on top of the dough and roll it to form a 10 inch square.
5. Cut the dough into strips 21/2 inch in width. Then cut each strip into 1 inch pieces. Approximately you should have 40 1 X 21/2 inch rectangles.
6. Arrange the cookies on the baking sheet and using a fork, pierce each biscuit/cookie about four times. Bake them for around 20 minutes or until they become crisp and dry
7. Cool the biscuits in the baking sheet.
8. For the filling, mix the coffee or water into the melted chocolate and add the sugar. Mix well. Turn half the cookies over so that the bottom side is facing up. Spread a little filling on them. Place a cookies on top of the ones with the filling. Leave the cookies until the filling sets and hardens a little bit.
9. Enjoy the bourbon biscuits/cookies with coffee or tea.

Note: Do not over bake the cookies, else you will end up with hard biscuits.

Sending this recipe to Champa's 'Bake-off' event.

13 comments:

  1. These are one of my favorites too. But the package said there are no eggs in them (I have to check next time I buy) I would definitely try these. Thanks for the entry and your cookies have come out so perfect. Just like the store bought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sujana, biscuits look so perfect and yum..my favourite biscuits...thanks for sharing the recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes me nostalgic, my dad never comes home without this bourbon biscuits whenever he go out of the town..thanks for sharing, cant wait to try them..

    ReplyDelete
  4. my my...wat a bake...lovebourbon biscuits....and these looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely biscuits. Feel like grabbing one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow these biscuits r my favorite too ...u made them soooo nicely ...gr8 job dear ...love them ...bookmarked ur recipe
    Satya
    http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Made this, but in a eggless way..turned out so good..thanks for the recipe Dear..

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooohh... so yum... they came out perfect
    Thanks for sharing the recipe.
    Thanks a lot for ur encouragement on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love bourbon biscuits but since they have trans fat I don't buy them anymore. Love this version, will bookmark your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Sujana, I entried my Bourbon Biscuits recipe in an event at Manjula's Kitchen. They have selected that as one among the top five recipes. There is voting system to select the first two places. Please take a look http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/contest/
    If you love my recipe, do vote for it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sujana...first time here....lovely space....yummmmmmy Bourbon Biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Sujana , they look so yummy!!Bookmarking it will let you know once I try !! Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe .

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails