Tomatillos are great for making salsa. Earlier I had posted a tomotillo salsa recips, where I had boiled the tomatillos and used them to make the salsa. In today's recipe,I have pan roasted the ingredients for the salsa and then blended them coarsely, so that the salsa is a bit chunkier.
Tomatillos - 3, medium sized, washed thoroughly and wiped dry
Garlic - 3 large pods, do not peel them, else they will get burnt
Onion - 1/2, medium sized
Dry Red Chillies/Arbor Chillies - 3
Cilantro/Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp, finely chopped
Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt - As per taste
Method of Preparation:
1. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add the whole tomatillos, garlic pods with the outer skin on, half onion, whole dry red chillies and let them roast slowly on medium heat.
2. Using tongs, keep turning the ingredients so that they slowly get charred evenly.
3. Once the tomatillos are roasted evenly, turn off the heat and let them cool down.
4. Add the roasted tomatillos, chillies, onion, salt to a blender. Peel the roasted garlic and add them to the blender.
5. Grind them coarsely if you prefer a chunky salsa or to a smooth puree.
6. Add the chopped cilantro to the roasted tomatillo salsa and enjoy with corn chips.
Optional: You can even add finely chopped onions to the salsa.