This is one of the recipes which me and my mom prefer, when we are running short on time. With very minimal preparation time, this is the perfect dish which you can pair with rotis.
Potatoes - 2 medium sized, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
Tomatoes - 1 medium sized, roughly chopped
Moong Dal/Split Yellow Dal - 3 tbsp
Grated ginger - 1 tbsp
Chilli powder - 1 tbsp (adjust according to taste)
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Coriander Powder - 1 tbsp
Garam Masala - a pinch
Salt - As per taste
For the Tempering:
Oil - 11/2 tbsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Method of Preparation:
1. Heat a pressure cooker and add the oil and cumin seeds. Once the seeds splutter add the moong dal and fry for 3 minutes.
2. Add the turmeric powder, grated ginger and fry for a minute. Add the diced potatoes and fry for a minute.
3. Add coriander powder, chilli powder and fry for 2 minutes.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes mix and add 2 cups of water.
5. Lastly add garam masala, salt and mix well.
5. Cover the pressure cooker lid and cook for 2-3 whistles. Ensure that the potatoes don't become paste.
6. Serve hot with rotis.