Tuesday, August 10, 2010
All You Need to Know About Peaches!!!
Peaches, were the favorite fruit of emperors and kings of China, where it was originated. As per the Chinese writings, peaches are in existence since tenth century BC.
- Peaches do not have any traces of sodium and are a good source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Iron and Potassium
- A medium sized peach has got less than a gram of fat
- Peach flesh along with the skin is a good source of fiber
- A medium sized peach is a low calorie snack, containing around 40 calories
- Peaches comprise of more than 80 percent of water along with a good amount of dietary fiber, thus making them a good choice for those trying to lose weight.
- Peaches are very good source of Phytochemicals. The phytochemicals are very beneficial in the prevention of cancer, tumor growth and heart diseases and also act as antioxidants.
- Peaches have found to beneficial for individuals suffering from dry cough, high blood pressure, poor digestion, asthma, bronchitis, anemia, etc
According to a study in China, men and women who ate peaches more than twice a week had a less chance of developing mouth cancers when compared to those who didn't eat peaches.
Purchase, Storage and Handling of Peaches:
- Do not buy peaches if they have any bruises
- Look for peaches which have true red color with very little yellow and ones which feel soft and have sweet smell. If they have a lot of aroma, then they are ready to be eaten.
- If the peaches are not ripe, store them in a paper bag, taking care not to pile them, as they can easily get bruised. Once they turn ripe and start emanating sweet sell you can store them in refrigerator for almost a week, depending on the degree of ripeness.