One of my friends had asked for recipes using sprouts. This post goes out for you my dear friend. This is just the beginning of recipes using sprouts. Many are in store yet. Today I wanted to satisfy my sweet tooth but in a healthy way, hence made a Moong Sprouts Kheer and also dished out a Moong Sprouts Chat to go with the evening cup of tea.
Moong Sprouts - 2 cups
Water - 1/2 cup
Add the sprouts and water to a pressure cooker and cook for 2 whistles. Remove from heat and take out 3/4 cup for the kheer and store the rest for the chat.
Moong Sprouts Kheer:
Boiled Sprouts - 3/4 cup
Jaggery - 2 small cubes (Adjust according to taste)
Sugar - 1 tsp
Water - 3 cups
Raisins - 1 tbsp
Almonds - 10, roughly grounded
Cardamoms - 2, powdered
1. Heat a vessel and add the boiled sprouts, water and jaggery. Cook on medium heat till the jaggery dissolves.
2. Add the sugar and let it boil for 5 minutes.
3. Muddle the sprouts with the back of the spoon or a muddler.
4. Add the raisins and roughly powdered almonds and mix well.
5. Finally add the cardamom powder and cook for a minute before taking the kheer off the heat.
6. Serve the Moong Sprouts Kheer either cold or warm.
Moong Sprouts Chaat:
Boiled Sprouts - 11/4 cup
Onions - 2 tbsp, finely chopped
Lemon juice - 2tbsp
Cumin - 1/4 tsp, roughly grounded
Chopped Green Chillies or Red chilli flakes - as per taste
Salt - as per taste
Chopped Mint Leaves - 1 tsp
1. Add the boiled sprouts to a bowl. Mix in the chopped onions, chilli flakes or chopped chillies, lemon juice, cumin powder, chopped mint leaves.
2. Mix well and add the salt just before serving.