Pepper Powder - 1/2 tsp
Garlic - 3 pods
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder - 1 tsp
Tamarind - a large lemon sized ball
Sugar/Jaggery - 1/2 tsp
Salt - As per taste
For the Tempering:
Oil - 11/2 tbsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves - 6
Dry Red Chillies - 3, broken into pieces
Method of Preparation:
1. Soak the tamarind in warm water for 30 minutes and extract the pulp.
2. Using a pestle, crush cumin seeds in a mortar, add coriander powder, pepper powder, salt and garlic pods. Crush them too. (If you do not have a mortar and pestle, place the ingredients on a chopping board and crush them using a rolling pin)
3. Heat oil in a vessel and add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds and curry leaves. Once the seeds start spluttering, add the crushed pepper garlic mixture on low to medium heat and mix well for 30 seconds.
4. Add the tamarind pulp, water(to dilute the tamarind pulp), sugar/jaggery and mix well.
5. Adjust the salt and let the rasam boil on medium heat for 5-8 minutes.
6. Enjoy the pepper rasam with steaming hot rice.