I wanted to use collard greens, but wanted to make something different this time. Then I recollected that my mother used to prepare a mixed greens curry by combining different green leafy veggies. I tried to recollect what all went into that curry and made a mixed greens curry using collard greens, spinach and fenugreek leaves. When my husband tasted the curry today, he just loved it.
Collard greens - 1 cup, stems removed, finely chopped
Spinach - 1/3 cup, chopped
Fenugreek leaves - 1/3 cup, chopped
Onion - 1, medium sized, roughly chopped
Tomatoes - 2, large, roughly chopped
Garlic - 3 cloves, roughly chopped
Green Chillies - 5, roughly chopped
Turmeric powder - a large pinch
Coriander Powder - 1/2 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1/4 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt - As per taste
Tamarind - very small piece (optional)
Method of Preparation:
1. Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add the mustard seeds, after they splutter, add the chopped onions and fry for a minute. Then add the chopped garlic and fry for 30 seconds.
2. Add the chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, green chillies and fry for 2 minutes.
3. Add the chopped greens - spinach, fenugreek leaves and collard greens and mix well. Stir occasionally until the leaves wilt slightly.
4. If the tomatoes are not very sour, then add a small piece of tamarind. Add salt and 3/4 cup of water.
5. Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles. After the pressure is released, adjust the salt.
6. Enjoy the mixed greens curry with hot steamed rice or rotis/chapatis.
Sending this to "Only greens" by Pari & Saraswathi