This is a recipe which our family friend had shared with our family when I was hardly 7 years old. Thanks to Thangamani aunty, who taught us this wonderful recipe, which we have made innumerable times, since then. This is a very simple recipe, in which mostly no one can go wrong.
Ripe Tomatoes - 5, large
Fenugreek seeds - 10-15
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Chilli Powder/Paprika - 1 tsp(Adjust according to taste)
Turmeric Powder - a large pinch
Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt - As per taste
Method of Preparation:
1. Slice the tomatoes length wise and discard all the seeds.
2. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan, preferably, nonstick. Add fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds and mustard seeds. After the mustard seeds splutter, add the sliced tomatoes.
3. Mix well, add turmeric powder. Keep stirring in between, until most of the moisture is reduced and the tomato mixture becomes soft.
4. Add chilli powder and salt and stir.
5. When you feel that most of the moisture has been eliminated and oil oozes out, turn off the heat and let it cool down.
6. Transfer the tomato thakkali to a dry, clean air tight container. Tomato thakkali stays fresh for nearly a week, when you use a fresh dry spoon every time.(We finish up the whole thing in a couple of days ;)
7. Enjoy instant tomato pickle/thakkali with rotis, dosas, upma, hot steamed rice, etc.