Collard greens are an excellent source of beta carotene, Vitamin C, Manganese, Vitamin E and Zinc. They also provide 5 core antioxidants. They have excellent cholesterol lowering abilities. I got a large bunch of collard greens this week. Since the leaves are a little tough to cook, I pressure cooked them with moong dal. The collards green with moong dal was very comforting and delicious.
Collard Greens - 2 cups, finely chopped
Onion - 1 medium sized, roughly chopped
Tomato - 1 medium sized, roughly chopped
Garlic - 1 clove, finely minced
Moong Dal/ Split Green Gram - 1/2 cup
Garam Masala Powder- 1/4 tsp
Chilli Powder - 1/4 tsp
Green Chillies - 3, roughly chopped
Freshly Grated Coconut - 1 tbsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt - As per taste
Method of Preparation:
1. Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. Then add the chopped onions and fry till they become translucent.
2. Add the minced garlic, fry for 45 seconds. Then add the chopped collard greens. Fry till the greens wilt slightly.
3. Then add the chopped green chillies and tomatoes and fry for couple of minutes.
4. Meanwhile wash the moong dal and add it to a pressure cooker along with 3 cups of water. Then mix in the collards green mixture into the pressure cooker. Add salt, mix well and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles.
5. After the steam is released, open the lid and mash the whole mixture slightly using a masher or a hand blender. Put the pressure cooker on medium heat and add the grated coconut to it.
6. Adjust the salt and let the whole mixture simmer on low heat for 5 minutes.
7. Enjoy the collard greens with moong dal with hot steamed rice or rotis.
Sending this to "Only greens" by Pari & Saraswathi