I love eating puffed brown rice. I can eat them without adding any thing. I have been thinking for a long time about make crispy treats using them and marshmallows. Finally today I made them and lovedddddddd the yummy crispy treats. In order to be guilt free, I avoided adding butter and used vegetable oil instead. Puffed brown rice are easily available in the cereal section in Walmart.
Puffed Brown Rice - 3 cups
Mini Marshmallows - 2 cups
Oil - 3 tbsp + little to grease your hand
Almonds - 6, sliced finely
Pumpkin Seeds - few (optional)
Nutmeg Powder - a large pinch
Method of preparation:
1. Add some water to a large heavy bottomed vessel and let the water simmer. Grease a square baking tray with a little oil and keep aside.
2.Add the puffed brown rice to a large baking sheet or an oven proof bowl and bake them for 5 minutes at 400F.
3. Add oil, marshmallows and nutmeg powder to a mixing bowl, that can be placed on top of the simmering water.
4. Stir until the marshmallows melt. Then quickly add the toasted puffed brown rice and sliced almonds to the mixing bowl and stir well using a spatula.
5. Transfer this mixture to the greased baking tray. Coat your hands with a little oil and spread the mixture evenly in the prepared tray. Sprinkle the pumpkin seeds on top, if using
6. After the brown rice crispy treats cool down completely, cut them into desired shapes and store in an airtight container.