Friday, July 30, 2010
Jhatpat Moong Dal
Today when I opened the fridge, there were not many options that I could put to use. Then I noticed couple of tomatoes and green chillies, which looked at me enthusiastically. I obliged their request and decided to make a quick dal using moong/pesara pappu/split yellow dal.
Moong dal/Pesara Pappu/Split Yello Dal - 1 cup
Tomatoes- 1, cut into 4 quarters
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - As per taste
Coriander Leaves - few sprigs, finely chopped
For the Tempering:
Onion - 1 medium sized, roughly chopped
Tomato - 1/2, roughly chopped
Green chillies - 4, roughly chopped
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
Urad dal/bengal gram - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - 4-5
Oil - 2 tbsp
Method of Preparation:
1. Wash the moong dal and add it to a pressure cooker. Also add the turmeric powder, salt, chopped tomatoes and 3 cups of water.
2. Pressure cook the moong dal till done.
3. Open the pressure cooker and slightly mash the dal with the back of the spatula/serving spoon.
4. Heat oil in a small vessel and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal and curry leaves. Once the mustard seeds start spluttering, add the chopped onions and chillies. Fry for 3-4 minutes or till onions become transparent. Then add the chopped tomatoes and fry for 5 minutes.
5. Add the tempering to the dal and mix well. Finally garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
6. Serve hot with rice or rotis.