All Purpose Flour - 1 cup
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder - 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp
Baking Soda - 1/2 tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Butter - 1/2 cup (1 stick), melted and warm
Brown Sugar - 11/4 cups, firmly packed
Large Eggs - 2
Hot Water - 1/2 cup
Method of Ingredients:
1. Preheat the oven to 350F, position the rack in the lower third of the oven. Butter the bottom of an 8 inch square or 9 inch round cake pan or line it with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, combine all purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Use a whisk to blend the ingredients. If the cocoa remains lumpy, sift the mixture.
3. In a large bowl, combine the warm melted butter and brown sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla essence and beat until well blended.
4. Add the flour mixture all at once. Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir just until all the flour mixture gets moistened.
5. Pour the hot water over the mixture all at once. Stir just until the water is incorporated and the batter becomes smooth.
6. Scrape the batter into the prepared cake pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the cake pan to a wire rack and let the cake cool for about 10 minutes. You can unmold the cake onto a wire rack or leave the cake in the pan and frost only the top of the cake.
Ingredients For Frosting:
Butter - 5 tbsp
Granulated Sugar - 3/4 cup
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder - 2/3 cup
Salt - a pinch
Heavy Cream - 3/4 cup
Vanilla Extract - 1 tsp
Method of Preparation:
1. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in the granulated sugar, cocoa and salt. Gradually stir in the cream. Heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is smooth and hot but not boiling.
2. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Let cool until thickened to spreading consistency.
3. Frost the top of the cake and enjoy.