The word pop corn brings to mind the microwaveable packets which we pop into the microwave and have instant pop corn ready. However, it is very simple to make pop corn at home, from scratch. All you need is dried corn kernels, which are readily available in packets in most of the grocery stores, Indian stores and Mexican stores.
1/4 cup cooking oil(just enough to cover the bottom of the vessel)
3/4 cup corn kernels
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Chilli Powder - 1/8 tsp
Method of Preparation:
1. Heat the oil on high heat in a big non stick vessel or a heavy bottomed pan.
2. Add the corn kernels and just shake the vessel once, this ensures that all the corn evenly settles in the pan.
3. Cover the pan with a lid in such a way that the steam escapes when the corn starts popping.
4. Once the corn starts popping, reduce the heat to a little over medium.
5. Once the corn stops popping, remove the vessel from heat.
6. Add the salt and chilli powder to the pop corn and toss it.
1. Add a little turmeric powder to the oil, which imparts yellow color to the pop corn.
2. You can also add pepper powder instead of chilli powder.